Sunday 14 February 2010

Valentine's Day Once Again

Given the nature of the day, and my usual annual dedication, I gave it a bit of thought this year.

Ever since I broke up from my longest relationship ever (arguably not that long for some people), it's been a rather long 3 years.

In the time that has passed since then, I managed to meet quite a few people but only 3 really caught my eye:

1. He simply wasn't into me.
2. He didn't exist. No, really. This is a guy who took on a different persona, and pretended to be someone else. Through a long and complex, carefully plotted string of lies, he managed to fool a lot of people for years (including myself of course for a few months), until luck would have it and I caught him in the act. Talented Mr. Ripley? No shit! Thank God it didn't end like it does in the film. Lucky him.
3. This last guy, I met, and everything was wonderful. So easy, so incredibly beautiful and pleasurable.  I only asked one thing of him: "Please don't lie" and of course... after one month of dating... that's exactly what he did. Repeatedly and to my face, and when in forgiveness I asked him to tell me WHY he lied, so that we could move on, he uttered the now famous last words: "I didn't lie to you. I simply didn't tell you". Yep. That was SO over.

So that's fairly it. Only 3 people. 1 for every year of being single.

Pretty sad going. looool

Which has left me (once again) ALONE ON VALENTINE'S day.

I don't quite like this day, the way it's been commercialized and all that, but I DO love it as a constant reminder that cynicism will not win. Ever. We must remember to love everyday. Not just on February 14th.

So then, contrary to what might be expected of me, I am not sad. In fact I am quite ok. I refuse to be beaten down. And I will NEVER become a cynic.

My Valentine WILL eventually show up, his gorgeous face all smiling, and we will love each other every day. And a tiny bit more on February 14th :-)

Here's a little happy song for all the rest of you "Hope To Be In Love" people out there.

2 comments:

amalthia said...

hi there!

do you know how many couples out there are actually alone?

not only on Valentine's day!

love will shine a light but you'd better not be blind!Me myself and I had been blind for a while...

penguin said...

In the land of the blind, the One Eyed Man/Woman is God :-)